Jupiter Medical Malpractice Lawyers
Proudly Advocating for Victims & Their Families Throughout Florida
You trust your health care providers to deliver top-quality care, but statistics indicate that many physicians fail to meet the standards you expect. According to a 2019 Medical Malpractice Payout Report published by a leading medical malpractice insurance provider, Florida ranks third in the total dollar value of claims. Victims of medical mistakes were paid, on average, $268,466 for medical errors by physicians.
While medical malpractice falls in the category of personal injury, these cases are extremely complicated due to the technical subject matter. As such, it’s wise to work with legal counsel that has extensive experience in this area.
Our team at Smith, Ball & Báez is prepared to handle the complex tasks, so please contact our firm to set up a free consultation with a Jupiter medical malpractice lawyer today.
Medical Malpractice Takes Many Forms
Health care professionals have a legal duty to provide care in accordance with generally accepted standards in the medical field. If they deviate from this obligation and cause harm to a patient, physicians, hospitals, and other practitioners can be held liable for the losses that result.
Some of the most common types of medical malpractice claims include:
- Surgical errors, such as operating on the wrong patient or body part, or leaving an object inside the patient
- Misdiagnosis, including the failure to diagnose and diagnosing an improper medical condition
- Errors in diagnosing and treating cancer
- Mistakes in administering anesthesia
- Birth injuries
- Hospital negligence, such as understaffing and failures in the hiring process
- Medication errors, which can result in the wrong drug or dosage
Compensation for Victims of Medical Malpractice
If you can prove the essential elements of medical malpractice in Florida, you can seek monetary damages for all associated losses.
There are two types of compensation available in a med mal case:
- Economic Damages: Some losses are easily calculated through receipts, invoices, and other documentation. Medical bills, lost wages, and out-of-pocket expenses related to your care fall into this category.
- Non-Economic Damages: This type of compensation is personal and subjective, since it’s based upon how your medical malpractice injuries affect your life.
Often termed “pain and suffering,” non-economic damages may also include:
- Emotional distress
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Diminished quality of life
- Losses that impact your personal relationships with a spouse, children, and other loved ones
Our team at Smith, Ball & Báez is dedicated to ensuring you receive the full amount allowed by law. We begin by attempting to reach a settlement with the negligent health care provider since many medical malpractice cases are resolved out of court. If we cannot agree on a fair amount of compensation, we’ll file a lawsuit to enforce your rights.
Get Legal Help Today
For more information about your rights and remedies as the victim of a medical error, please contact Smith, Ball & Báez to schedule a no-cost case evaluation.
Over $100 Million Recovered
Our results speak for themselves, and our team is dedicated to winning for you.
AV-Rated With Martindale Hubbell
We are ranked by the most prestigious peer review rating an attorney can receive for high ethical standards and professional ability.
Over 65 Years of Experience
With over 65 years of combined experience, our attorneys know what it takes to win for you while adhering to the highest ethical standards.
Our attorneys are committed to excellence and are recognized for their hard work with many accolades from the legal community.
We're Not Afraid to Litigate
We're trial lawyers at heart and don't shy away from the courtroom; we'll put our compassionate tenacity to work for you.
A Florida Firm With Extensive Resources
No case is too big; we'll utilize our large network of experts, connections in the legal community, and deep well of resources to help you win.