Boca Raton Medical Malpractice Attorneys
Helping You Navigate Complex Injury Claims
Patients put their trust in doctors, but too often this trust is abused. Each year, hundreds of thousands of people in the United States fall victim to medical errors that were entirely preventable. These errors can cause a person to fall sick or delay their recovery. In extreme cases, a patient can die because a doctor or other medical professional made a life-changing mistake.
Medical malpractice is a serious problem, but help is available for victims and their families. Smith, Ball & Báez has represented clients in medical malpractice cases for years, so we know how to obtain favorable compensation when patients are injured.
Give our medical malpractice lawyers in Boca Raton a call at (561) 500-HELP so we can discuss your situation.
Defining Medical Malpractice
Doctors and other medical professionals have a duty to provide care that is equal to the prevailing standard in the medical community. This law is found in Fla. Stat. § 766.102. When they fail to use the skill that a careful professional would use in similar circumstances, they have committed medical malpractice.
Examples of Medical Malpractice
Some of the more common examples of medical malpractice include:
- A doctor examines a patient but fails to correctly diagnose a condition despite having enough relevant information to do so. Consequently, the patient does not get prompt care and might become even sicker or die.
- Delayed diagnosis. A doctor might ultimately make the correct diagnosis but do so very late, delaying proper treatment.
- Medication errors. A patient might receive the wrong medication or the right medication in the wrong dosage. Sometimes, medication interacts negatively with known allergies or other medications the patient is already taking.
- Surgical errors. A doctor can nick or damage healthy organs, tissue, or nerves during surgery. In extreme cases, the doctor might perform the wrong surgery on the wrong patient.
- Implements left behind. Some surgeons leave sponges or other implements in a patient.
- Birth injuries. Both mother and child can be injured during labor and delivery. A mother might suffer from high or low blood pressure, while a baby can suffer nerve or brain injuries.
- Lack of informed consent. Doctors must disclose the known risks of a course of treatment and discuss alternatives, including no treatment at all. Failure to disclose required information deprives patients of their right to informed consent.
Proving Medical Malpractice
These are some of the most complicated cases we take. The fact that a patient was injured or even died is not, by itself, proof that malpractice occurred. Instead, we need to analyze the steps the medical professional took or didn’t take to judge whether they followed the proper standard of care.
Often, we require the help of expert witnesses who can review the professional’s actions and offer an opinion about whether they committed malpractice. The expert can also link the defendant’s actions to our client’s injuries, which is necessary to prove causation.
One benefit of working with an experienced firm such as ours is that we have built relationships with many expert witnesses who can establish credibility with judges and juries.
Contact Our Experienced Boca Raton Medical Malpractice Lawyers Today
Our team at Smith, Ball & Báez, is standing by to help when you are injured by a medical provider.
Contact us today to schedule a free, no-risk consultation.
What Sets Us ApartCommitted to Fighting for Justice for the Injured
Over $100 Million Recovered
Our results speak for themselves, and our team is dedicated to winning for you.
AV-Rated With Martindale Hubbell
We are ranked by the most prestigious peer review rating an attorney can receive for high ethical standards and professional ability.
Over 65 Years of Experience
With over 65 years of combined experience, our attorneys know what it takes to win for you while adhering to the highest ethical standards.
Our attorneys are committed to excellence and are recognized for their hard work with many accolades from the legal community.
We're Not Afraid to Litigate
We're trial lawyers at heart and don't shy away from the courtroom; we'll put our compassionate tenacity to work for you.
A Florida Firm With Extensive Resources
No case is too big; we'll utilize our large network of experts, connections in the legal community, and deep well of resources to help you win.