Port St. Lucie Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Bicycling is an important mode of transportation in Port St. Lucie. One advantage of living in Florida is that we enjoy good weather year-round, so many people are biking to work or school as a way to save money. Still others ride a bicycle on the weekend as a hobby or a form of exercise. We are thrilled to see so many people out on the road.
Unfortunately, bicyclists are still incredibly vulnerable when they get into accidents. Even someone wearing a helmet could suffer life-changing injuries when struck by a car or upended by road defects. Please call Smith, Ball & Báez today to speak with a Port St. Lucie bicycle accident lawyer about your crash. We will analyze whether you can sue someone for your injuries, which would be helpful for covering the cost of medical care and other expenses.
Hazards Confronting Bicyclists
Bicycling might be healthy, but cyclists are extremely vulnerable to a collision. Florida’s traffic laws explain that motorists must share the road with cyclists, and both drivers and bicyclists have important duties, such as using appropriate turn signals and not crowding each other.
Unfortunately, many accidents continue to occur. In fact, roughly 6,000 bicycle accidents happened in Florida in 2020, according to the state’s Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. If you can prove that a negligent motorist caused your collision, you might be able to bring a lawsuit. You should also check if you have PIP (personal injury protection) benefits available to pay for immediate care.
Many accidents are caused by:
- Distracted driving—motorists might be looking at a cell phone or talking on the phone and not paying attention to where they are going.
- Drunk driving—a chemically impaired driver could have blurred vision and literally not see a cyclist driving in front of them.
- Tailgating—some motorists are in a hurry and will crowd a cyclist by riding too closely. They give themselves no cushion to stop.
- Fatigue—tired drivers will be less likely to take defensive action in a timely manner, and many can fall asleep behind the wheel.
- Aggressive drivers—some motorists pass a bicyclist too closely because they are in an aggressive mood.
- Open-door accidents—a passenger in a parked car at the curb might open a door without checking that no bicyclist is coming up from behind, causing the cyclist to smash into the door.
Other accidents are caused by road hazards. Large potholes, road debris, blown tires, and other problems can easily send a bicyclist sliding off the road or flip them upside down. In these accidents, you might need to sue the government or a contractor responsible for the road.
Our Commitment to Our Clients
The lawyers at Smith, Ball & Baez are committed to helping accident victims seek justice through the claims process. If you reach out to us today, one of our Port St. Lucie bicycle accident lawyers will explain your rights in a free consultation. We never charge a fee unless we win, so there is no risk to calling.