Palm Beach Gardens Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer
During an accident, there are many types of injuries a person could sustain. Of all of them, spinal cord injuries are some of the most common. Unfortunately, they are also some of the most serious. Not all injuries to the spinal column will give rise to a personal injury claim. However, there are times when a negligent party could be held accountable for paying damages, a legal term for financial compensation.
While the compensation available in a spinal cord injury claim can never undo the accident, or the resulting damage, it can help ease the financial burden of the costs you will incur. These include medical expenses and more. Below, our Palm Beach Gardens spinal cord injury lawyer explains the different types of injuries, and the compensation available after an accident.
The Different Types of Spinal Cord Injuries
The severity of a spinal cord injury will depend on its location. The spinal column is composed of four different sections and the higher up on the spine the injury is located, the more severe the injury. The four sections of the spinal column are as follows:
- Cervical: The cervical area of the spine is at the very top and so, these injuries are the worst a person could sustain. All parts of the body are below the cervical portion of the spine and so many different bodily functions will be affected including walking, eating, and the use of all limbs.
- Thoracic: The thoracic area of the spinal column is not commonly injured as the rib cage protects this area. Still, thoracic injuries can be very severe and can result in paralysis of the lower body. The arms are not usually affected by thoracic injuries.
- Lumbar: The lumbar area is located in the lower section of the spine and so, while the lower body is impacted by a lumbar injury, the shoulders, arms, and hands are not usually affected.
- Sacral: The sacral region is the lowest section of the spine. An injury to this area can result in reduced bowel and bladder functionality and sexual dysfunction. However, these injuries do not typically cause paralysis.
Recoverable Compensation for a Spinal Cord Injury
Spinal cord injuries are some of the most expensive to treat and will result in significant pain, suffering, and emotional anguish. You can file a claim for compensation to recover many different types of damages. The most common of these include:
- Medical costs, including surgery, hospitalizations, and physical therapy expenses
- Los income, including wages, benefits, and bonuses
- Loss of earning capacity if you cannot return to the same type of work in the future
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Permanent disfigurement or impairment
Our Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer in Palm Beach Gardens Can Help You Claim Full Compensation
At Smith, Ball, Baez & Prather, we know how serious spinal cord injuries are. It is why our Palm Beach Gardens spinal cord injury lawyer is so dedicated to helping accident victims claim the full and fair damages that are justly theirs. We can put our experience to work for you, too. Call or text us now at 561-500-HELP or contact us online to schedule a free review of your case and to learn more about your legal options.