Stuart & Treasure Coast Car Accident Lawyer
According to the Association of American Medical Colleges, physicians spend between seven and 15 years in school, medical school, residencies, and fellowships before practicing on their own. Others in the medical field, such as nurses, pharmacists, and technicians must also attend school, training, and pass tests before working with the public. That can give us a false sense that medical professionals will always treat their patients at the best of their ability. Unfortunately, patients sometimes do become more injured as a result of their treatment, or illness are missed. When a healthcare worker makes an error, either by omitting information or by a negligent act, in diagnosis, treatment, or aftercare it is considered medical malpractice. If you know a healthcare worker who has committed medical malpractice and caused injury to you or a loved one, it is important that they are held responsible for the damages. The Stuart & Treasure Coast medical malpractice lawyers at Smith, Ball & Báez Injury Lawyers in Treasure Coast have experience handling these cases for our clients and can assist you in seeking compensation.
Examples of Medical Malpractice Cases We Have Worked On
- Misdiagnosis or Delayed Diagnosis- A VeryWell Health article reported on a study that estimated five percent of all outpatient diagnoses are misdiagnosed or missed entirely. This can result in a person not receiving treatment or possibly being treated for a medical condition that they do not even have. The treatment that a patient does receive can have bad side effects and of course, not receiving treatment for a condition they do have will negatively impact a person.
- Unnecessary Surgery – Some specialized surgeons enjoy operating enough that they start recommending surgery for people for whom surgery is not the proper course of recovery. Surgery should only be recommended if it is the best course of action, not because the surgeon seeks financial gain or notoriety.
- Surgical Errors – This includes performing an unnecessary surgery or the incorrect one for the condition that exists. Both scenarios can lead to long term organ, nerve, and tissue damage. There have also been cases of medical malpractice where doctors have left surgical equipment inside a patient.
- Premature Discharge From Care – If a person is sent home from an inpatient care facility before they are capable of taking care of themselves, the risk of injury or death exists.
- Improper Medication – Improper medication means a person is not being treated for their condition, but it can also throw off other systems within the body. For instance, if someone is taking hyperthyroid medicine without a thyroid issue, it can actually cause a thyroid problem.
- Birth Injuries – Inadequate care before or during childbirth can result in brain hemorrhages, cerebral palsy, Erb’s palsy, Klumpke’s palsy, persistent pulmonary hypertension of the newborn (PPHN), and more.
Contact Smith, Ball & Báez Injury Lawyers to Learn If You Have a Medical Malpractice Case
The Stuart attorneys at Smith, Ball & Báez Injury Lawyers can help you determine if your healthcare treatment should be considered medical malpractice. If it is malpractice, we can assist you with the personal injury claim and we will work tirelessly for you to get properly compensated.
Over $100 Million Recovered
Our results speak for themselves, and our team is dedicated to winning for you.
AV-Rated With Martindale Hubbell
We are ranked by the most prestigious peer review rating an attorney can receive for high ethical standards and professional ability.
Over 65 Years of Experience
With over 65 years of combined experience, our attorneys know what it takes to win for you while adhering to the highest ethical standards.
Our attorneys are committed to excellence and are recognized for their hard work with many accolades from the legal community.
We're Not Afraid to Litigate
We're trial lawyers at heart and don't shy away from the courtroom; we'll put our compassionate tenacity to work for you.
A Florida Firm With Extensive Resources
No case is too big; we'll utilize our large network of experts, connections in the legal community, and deep well of resources to help you win.